So Sarah was working hard to convince me to start a food blog when she was out to visit. I'm still not sure if I will, but I have been experimenting with recipes and recording my successes over the past month. I thought I'd share them with family/friends to see what you think of my food blog attempts!
You all know I love my oatmeal! This
is one of those filling breakfasts that I love to take to work with me. I
usually make the oats ahead of time (on the weekend) and then mix in a
combination of fruit and nuts the morning of. One of favorite mix-in
combination is fig, coconut, and walnuts!
Steel
Cut Oats with Fig and Coconut
Ingredients:
3/4
Cup of Simple Steel Cut Oats (could be made ahead)
4
Black Figs, sliced
I
Tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut
1
Tbs. Chopped Walnuts
Drizzle
of Honey or Agave Nectar (about 1 tsp.)
Directions:
Spoon
1 cup of simple steel cut oats into a bowl. Top with Sliced figs, shredded
coconut and walnuts. Drizzle with honey. Eat!
Makes
1 Serving
Simple
Steel Cut Oats
Ingredients
1
Cup Steel Cut Oats
3
Cups Water
1
Cup Almond Milk
1
Tbs. Coconut Oil
1/4
Tsp. Salt
Directions:
In
a Medium Saucepan, combine water and almond milk. Bring to a boil over medium
high heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
Add the steel cut oats and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Once the
liquid has come to a boil add the steel cut oats and 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce to a
simmer and stir well, cover.
Simmer
for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats have reached a desired
consistency (I prefer mine more like a firm porridge so I cook mine for about
35 minutes). Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Makes
6-7 Servings, or 5 Cups
Simple
steel cut oats Nutrition Information: (3/4 cup)
Calories:
111
Total
Fat: 3.6g
Monounsaturated
fat: 0.4g
Saturated
fat: 2.1 g
Protein:
3.7 g
Sodium:
111
Carbohydrates:
17.4 g
Fiber:
2.5g
Sugar:
1 g
Fig
combo and Simple Steel cut oats Nutritional Info:
Calories:
324
Total
Fat: 10.6
Monounsaturated
fat: 0.4g
Saturated
fat: 4.35g
Protein:
4.7
Sodium:
111
Carbohydrates:
25g
Fiber:
7g
Sugar:
34g

1 comment:
Okay I'm convinced, I'll spend the money on fresh figs to make this! It looks as good as you were describing. Mom said it was the best oatmeal she'd had!
Post a Comment