For those who are wondering
this post is an update on what has happened so far with our fertility
treatments. We just tried two cycles of Clomid therapy (a drug which increases
follicular development) and no luck yet. Much apologies to family members and
friends that I might have been crazy around- Clomid made me feel like a 4 year
old on steroids! The good news is that I had good follicle response to the
Clomid.
Because
of my pelvic pain and other symptoms we are moving on to the next step, hormone
shots. This one has a slightly higher percentage of working (25% instead of the
12%) but with a higher risk of having multiples (15-25%). It makes me feel a
little nervous with the chance of having multiples but we are hoping to not be
in that 6.25% bracket of having twins or more! I will be basically injecting myself
with hormones 1x day and visiting the fertility clinic every 3 days to check my
labs and to monitor follicle development. Once there are 3-4 follicles at a
decent size I will give myself a ‘trigger’ shot to stimulate ovulation. Luckily I have been improving on my fat
stores and have plenty of places on my stomach for pokes.
We also talked about doing IVF. With IVF we will have more
control by only transferring 2 blastocytes (early stage of an embryo) but we
are not ready to take that step yet! IVF is a much larger commitment. I could
have to take up 3 injections a day and Cory would have to give me injections in
my bottom for 8 weeks! (I don’t know what’s more scary, Cory sticking me with a
needle or getting injections for 8 weeks!) Of course there is the issue of storing the
other blastocytes for future treatments. Right now we are going for the hormone
treatment and are hoping it works! If not we will be taking some time to
consider the IVF option.
This is a picture of my 'pen.' Looks innocent enough, right?
Not! The pen is a device that helps me get the right dosage of hormones, since I will be titrating my dose and would have to draw up such a small and precise amount. I'm so glad I'm a nurse and am use to needles!
I feel pretty cool having my own little sharps container!
Thanks for everyone's support! We will need it in the months to come!
1 comment:
You have been building up fat stores on your stomach? Where? ;) Kidding, but I do think it's funny that you would be more afraid of Cory giving you the shot! Thanks for the update, it's interesting to learn about your "process." I say bring on the multiples, Aunt Rachel will be happy to help!
Post a Comment