It’s Halloween and I just received a transfer from the PICU,
a little boy just under two, wearing a Spiderman costume. He came despite needing
5 different IV medications at that time (all needing to be on time because he
had a medication every hour, some not compatible with others). He wanted so
much to ‘trick or treat’ on our unit with the other kids at noon. The hustle
and bustle of moving him floor to floor, all the while transporting him with
oxygen tubes and a tank, spo2 and cardiac monitors and leads, and multiple IV
tubing and pumps exhausted him. By the time he made it to his room at 12:15 he
just wanted to sleep. His parents wanted him to trick or treat because they
knew very well, despite being the fiercest of fighters I ever knew, that this
might be his last chance. And it was.
Unfortunately for me, I was still learning to appreciate each
moment and enjoying it instead of being caught up on what’s next. It was
extremely important for me to stay on task with the IV meds because the child’s
life did depend on it, but I wish I could have done something to help him enjoy
his last Halloween better. As a new-ish nurse, I was overwhelmed with the hour
long report, the bucket of wound care supplies, the new oxygen device I was learning
to use, the tangles of IV tubing to sort through, and a complicated medication
schedule 7 pages long I had to get back on schedule. Not to mention the other
patient I was taking care of and his medications, etc. There is no use in going
back and wishing I did differently, because I did do my best for my skills at
the time, but I have learned from it. The memory or the boy in the Spiderman
costume will always remind me to take the time to enjoy the now.
This is the lesson, among others, I learned also from a tiny
five year old girl, bald as can be, in a fairy costume that same day. She was
able to trick or treat, but if I were her, I would have been in bed. She rode
around on her little tricycle, fairy wings trailing behind her as she went from
nurse station to nurse station, croaking “Trick or Treat!” Barley croaking. This poor little girl was undergoing radiation to
her neck and chemotherapy. She had red angry and bleeding burns like a collar
around her neck, and her throat was full of mucositis. Imagine one mouth sore, open
and erupted all down your throat. Most kids (and adults) can’t even swallow
their own spit. But there she was, croaking ‘trick or treat’ and smiley widely
and excitedly with each new conquest of candy. Her situation was less than
ideal. If she were older she might have thought, ‘why me?” Or, ‘Why can’t I be
trick or treating like other kids?’ Or obsessing over how life would be when
she was through with this awful trial. Instead she enjoyed what she could, when
she could. I will never forget the beauty and strength in that little girl, and
will forever be amazed that it belonged to such a tiny person with a bald head.
2 comments:
Who said adults were smarter than kids! That little girl had such determination not to let her illness stop her from living life fully! We could remember her example when we let our struggles get the best of us.
We could all use a reminder of spiderman to slow down and try to enjoy the moment.
We can learn so much from children! Especially from their resilience and the way they live in the moment.
Post a Comment